5 Reasons You Should Be Walking!
Walking is a great exercise option for everyone, especially new moms!
Posted by lindsay wright
The leaves are changing, the temperatures are getting cooler. All baked goods now contain pumpkin and candy corn has become a food group in most households (mine included). The thing about fall is that it passes quickly! In no time, the air outside will resemble an ice box. Actually, for some of you Canadians, it might already.
My goal: To soak up as much of this CRISP, FALL air as possible!
And what better way to do it than to TAKE A WALK.
The benefits of walking are endless, but I thought I’d share my top five reasons for using walking as a daily treat, minus the trick!
1. Walking is a low-impact activity, meaning that it puts little to no strain on your joints and ligaments. Perfect for new moms looking to begin an exercise regime but don’t know where to start, walking is EASY! You simply put one foot in front of the other!
2. Walking burns calories. Depending on your pace, a 140-pound woman can burn anywhere from 80 to 102 calories per mile!
Several factors can ADD to that calorie burn too – pushing a stroller, moving your arms swiftly, holding weights, or using ankle weights.
3. Not only does walking help you stray trim and lean, but it also helps reduce the risk of many of the major health issues that we face, namely heart disease, cancer and stroke. As with any form of exercise, walking does not PREVENT these diseases from occurring, but rather, helps to keep your body as healthy as possible to REDUCE the risk of life threatening illnesses.
4. Need a mood-booster? GO WALK! If you can, walk outside! Not only does your body release endorphins when you exercise (that’s why all those fit people are happy!), but walking also presents your mind with a chance to decompress and process the day’s events.
5. Walking requires little to no equipment! All you need is a good pair of shoes, some time, and possibly a jogging stroller! No need for an expensive gym membership! Walking can be done on your local greenway, high school track or even in your living room (imagine marching in place!). It’s one of the cheapest forms of exercise there is!
So there you have it! Will you join me in a daily walk?
Looking for more walking inspiration? Wendy Bumgardner at About.com has a whole series devoted to the subject!! Check her out!
For more fitness and health tips, please visit my healthy living blog, Lindsay’s List, and join in on the fun at the LL Facebook page, where I host giveaways and weekly workouts!
3 back to baby